From its humble beginnings in 1853 when it served 160 children at one small school, HISD has grown to 4-A status and provides first-rate education for over 2,000 students on five regular campuses.
The first school in Hillsboro was constructed in 1853 as a 14-foot by 16-foot log cabin located in the lot east of the courthouse that now holds the John W. Erwin Hill County Courthouse Annex. Patrons of the school and the county shared tuition costs.
In 1884, Professor Coleman utilized the log cabin to open the first public school in Hillsboro with 160 students. The city took over control in 1885. Central School, funded by a $12,000 bond, was constructed in 1886 with seven classrooms. In 1892, several decades prior to desegregation, Peabody School was built for African-American students.
Franklin Elementary was constructed in 1936 and was preceded by two buildings prior to the current structure. It housed first through fifth grade students until 1985 when it became the campus for kindergarten and first grade. In 1993, it added pre-kindergarten classes, and since 2008 has schooled only pre-kindergarten children.
Hillsboro Elementary was built in 1985, providing instructional space for second through fifth grade until 2002 when it transitioned to first through third grade. In 2008, it changed to kindergarten through second grade.
Hillsboro Intermediate is the newest structure in the district. Built in 2002, it houses grades three through five.
Constructed in 1964, Hillsboro Junior High first housed high school students. In 1998 the new Hillsboro High School campus was occupied by grades nine through twelve. At that time sixth, seventh and eighth grade students moved into the vacated school. The Junior High sits on the former site of the original Travis Elementary and Frazier Football Field.
Hillsboro High School has provided instruction to ninth through twelfth grade students since its construction in 1998.