The Elementary Gifted and Talented program is a pullout program that serves the needs of gifted students in Hillsboro ISD. The Elementary GT program allows our identified gifted students the opportunity to work together weekly with the campus GT teacher.
Hillsboro ISD’s elementary GT curriculum is a skills-based curriculum. A variety of topics and thematic units are utilized to address learning objectives at each grade level. The objectives in each unit for each grade level are research-based thinking skills which cover a number of aptitudes in five broad areas: critical thinking, creative thinking, metacognition, affective development, and research. The progression of these objectives is grade-level appropriate and spans kindergarten through sixth grade. The structure and rigor of the curriculum for each grade level ensures that HISD provides a consistent GT pullout curriculum.
Additional opportunities provided for students:
- Clustered in groups in heterogeneous classrooms
- A weekly pull - out program will also be utilized to provide services.
- Independent Study – Facilitated by GT teacher
- Accelerated Classes (5th & 6th)
- Credit by Exam
- Formal Differentiation Strategy Options (such as, but not limited to)
- Tiered Assignments
- Compacting Curriculum
- Complex Questioning
- Flexible Grouping
- Independent Study
- Formal Enrichment Period
- LEx Lab
- Texas Performance Standards Project (TPSP) – TEA Resource
- G/T Teacher Toolkit II – TEA Resource
- Equity in Gifted Education – TEA Resource
- Other curriculum used must be approved in advance by campus administrator and must meet the same standards as the TPSP.
Enrichment (such as, but not limited to)
- Accelerated Reader
- Art Club
- Rhythm Rascals
- Math Monsters
- Chess Club
- Robotics Club
- Student Council
- National Junior Honor Society
Awards/Contest/Recognition (such as, but not limited to)
- Honor Roll
- Accelerated Reading Awards
- Spelling Bee
- Presidential Fitness Award
- Six Week/Year Attendance Awards
- End of the Year Awards in Each Core Discipline
- Destination Imagination
- UIL Academic Competitions
- Duke University TIP Program
This list signifies a sampling of opportunities available to gifted/talented students.