Migrant and Homeless Education
The purpose of Migrant and Homeless Education at HISD is to provide support to these students in order to ensure educational needs are met.
Who is considered a migratory child?
For purposes of the Migrant Education Program, move or moved is defined as a change from one residence to another residence across school district lines that occurs due to economic necessity.
Questions regarding the HISD Migrant Program please contact Gaila Sanders.
McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act
The McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act, ensures the educational rights and protections for children and youth experiencing homelessness.
Homelessness is defined as:
Questions regarding the HISD Homeless Program please contact Angela Boyd.
- Who is a migratory agricultural worker or a migratory fisher; or
- Who, in the preceding 36 months, in order to accompany or join a parent, spouse or guardian who is a migratory agricultural worker or a migratory fisher–
- Has moved from one school district to another;
- In a state that is comprised of a single school district, has moved from one administrative area to another within such district; or
- As the child of a migratory fisher, resides in a school district of more than 15,000 square miles, and migrates a distance of 20 miles or more to a temporary residence.
- having a lack of fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence and includes children and youth who are sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or similar reasons;
- children or youth living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camping grounds due to the lack of alternative accommodations; are living in emergency or transitional shelters; are abandoned in hospitals; or are awaiting foster care placement;
- children or youth who have a primary nighttime residence that is a public or private place not designed for or ordinarily used as regular sleeping accommodation for human beings;
- children or youth living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations, or similar settings.